What is in a logo?

I have been going through the book- Design Matters// LOGOS by Rockport publishers.




If I have been a little stuck about what next, this book has certainly held my hand and shown me the way, so to speak.
I have been making some notes on points I'd like to keep in mind while designing the logo. And here they are. If they are a bit jumbled or repetitive, excuse me.


Just like ancient ancestors communicated through visual icons, modern brands speak to customers through imagery.

Visual icons communicate basically and directly which is perfect for branding, when the goal is to convey a message with minimum time or strain on the audience. Logo design, however, is about cutting the message to the quick.

Logos send messages of all sorts to mixed audiences. They shorten the communication of a complex statement to something simple, clear and concise. They replace written language when audiences don’t have the time or will to read.
A logo design visually represents brands in market places. The result should be a logo design that not only translates the brand but also does it quickly and memorably for the audience.

A logo is a powerful weapon. It can boost consumer perception, it can boost internal perception. What the logo cannot do is actually make the company great. It can and should be the flag that signals brand change. An example of this is the amazingly effective pull of McDonalds.

The logo is a flag. The guts of a brand reside in the consistent qualities and values of the people in the organization.

Logos are more important than ever, because they make sure the brand is still connected to the story. In a world where intergrated marketing communications are trampling advertising’s outmoded methods, logos are an essential linking agent.
Consumer brands speak through advertising, the internet and packaging.

If branding was a book, a logo would be the cover. If your logo is speaking to an audience, what is it saying? What do the colours say about the brand? What does the shape say? What does the type say? All these pieces come together and speak in a visual language about your brand.

The 3 elements of understanding any market place-
People
The kind of people that buy into the product, the kind of people you would WANT to buy into the product.
Objects
What is this object and brand about, how is it different from the others?
Culture
Includes belief systems, history and past patterns of behaviour that are glue holding objects and people together.

Since I am going to be branding MAESTRO, as the main brand, and 'multicooker' is going to be the sub brand, I have been really confused as to how I am going to do the 2 parts. I know that they (the clients) want Maestro to be prominent because they are thinking of branching out into other appliances in the future.
But I can denote all the things the steamer stands from in the sub brand, which is multi-cooker. That is as of now, left up to me to choose how I'd like to deal with it.
Do I just work on Maestro options first? Or do I work on both of them together? I'm not sure. I have a few ideas 'steaming' through my mind.
But first I need to get their brand architecture in place. And I hope to have a moodboard up on the multicooker as well.
Also, I'd like to thank Design Matters. =P

POSTED BY jus me
POSTED IN
DISCUSSION 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.